Today I wanted to share with you the benefits of honey. Some people like it and some are not so fond of it but there are many benefits of honey (apart from using as a term of endearment)
1. Honey has been known to strengthen the immune system especially Manuka honey. It has been known to stimulate the production of the Immune cells.
2. Heals wounds and burns. Studies have shown that adding honey externally to wounds or burns has and effect like that of conventional treatments with silver sulfadiazine. It is said that because it has antibacterial effect and helps to dry out the wound.
3. Probiotic. Some types of honey have a very large quantity of friendly bacteria in them so this then provides a therapeutic effect. Mainly because this includes up to 6 species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria.
4. May prevent cancer and heart disease. It contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
5. Contains Blood sugar regulation. Although honey is very sweet and contains sugars these are not like white sugar or those artificial sweeteners you find on the shelf, Its exact combination of fructose and glucose actually helps the body regulate blood sugar levels.
6. Helps you to sleep. Believe it or not honey can help you get a better nights sleep. Honey can cause a rise in insulin in your body therefore releasing serotonin which then turns into melatonin which helps you to have a longer more restful sleep.
7. Can help to treat Dandruff. Applying to the scalp mixed with warm water and leaving for 3 or more hours shows a decrease in itchiness and flaking of the scalp.
8. Helps with those persistent coughs. Just two teaspoons of this golden liquid can help to reduce those persistent annoying coughs. Have 30 minutes before bed.
9. Anti Bacterial and anti fungal. “All honey is antibacterial because the bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide,” said Peter Molan, director of the Honey Research Unit at the University of Waikato in New Zealand.
10. Boosts energy. Honey is a great natural source of carbohydrates, which provide strength and energy to our bodies, honey is known for its effectiveness in instantly boosting the performance, endurance and reduce muscle fatigue of athletes